Calligraphy - Address List Format
For hand-addressed envelopes, PenDance
requires the addresses in be provided to us either in
spreadsheet or label format. You can email your list to firstname.lastname@example.org or provide
the list on a thumb drive when you deliver your envelopes.
Providing the address list in label format serves
You will be able to catch errors or omissions more easily
when you see it in label format.
It's easier for the calligrapher to
visualize how the addresses should be formatted on the envelopes.
Proofreading is more efficient when the
addresses appear exactly the same on the list as on the
Download our Excel template
If you would like to use PenDance's Excel template to prepare
your address list, you can
it here. We'll then reformat the addresses into label format for
you and email you the list for approval before we begin
- Alphabetize the list by last name and number each address.
- If you prefer that your out-of-town guests' envelopes be
addressed first, sort them to the top of the list.
- If you need to add additional names or make changes to your list
after sending us the original list, please email or fax us ONLY the
changes, NOT the entire list over again. We'll mark the changes
on the original list.
- Plan to provide 10% more envelopes than the number of addresses,
or 15% more if you are using metallic-coated paper.
- Include your name, phone number, fax number, email address, and the
selected calligraphy style at the top of the address
Formatting Your Addresses
- All text should be in uppercase and lowercase
letters, including the names of countries.
- For addresses with "#", "Number", "Apartment",
or "Apartment Number", we will use a small
bullet "o" in place of the "#" to give
a cleaner appearance to the envelope. The
bullet symbol is made by holding down the <ALT> key while typing 248.
NOTE: The small bullet is an acceptable alternative to writing out
"Number" and makes the address look less cluttered.
Include titles such as Mr. and Mrs. with the appropriate punctuation.
- Please provide the list in alphabetical order by last
name, and/or number the addresses, for easy reference.
- All postal and state abbreviations must be spelled out
(Post Office Box, Boulevard, Avenue, Lane, etc.).
- Zip codes need to only be 5-digits. The extra 4 digits are for
bulk mailing purposes, which wouldn't apply to wedding envelopes.
- Married couples with different last names are noted with "and"
between their names (See address #2 above) and their names appear on
separate lines. Unmarried couples' names are not joined with
"and" and their names appear on separate lines as well.
- Inner envelope names should be included on a separate line
- For inner envelopes, indicate whether or not the "G" in "Guest"
should be capitalized (or not).
- For inner envelopes, indicate whether or not the "F" in "Family"
should be capitalized.
- Specify if "Dr." should be spelled out "Doctor"
or abbreviated. "Doctor" can be used for medical doctors.
If you prefer to prepare your list in label format yourself,
addresses should appear EXACTLY as you want them to appear on each
envelope. Each page can have more than one column if you prefer.
1. Doctor and Mrs. Edward Jones
123 Main Street
Houston, Texas 77024
Doctor and Mrs. Jones
Kimberly and Joshua
2. Ms. Jane Smith-Edwards
and Mr. Robert Edwards
14027 Memorial Drive
Houston, Texas 77079
and Mr. Edwards
Below is a checklist to help you enter
your addresses in a spreadsheet or database for computer
calligraphy addressing. This will speed the process of
importing your list into our printing program.
If you would like to use our Excel
template, you can
Once you have entered your list in Excel, email it to Don at
Then give Don a call at 281-558-7856 to set up an appointment to
drop off your envelopes, or to notify Don that you will be
shipping them to him. Be sure to include at least 10% extra
envelopes than addresses.
After Don receives your list, he'll import it into our
printing program, then email you a proof list so that you can
verify all the information. Once you have approved the list, and
verified your font choice and ink color, it will take about 3-5
business days to print your envelopes.
If you have any questions about list formatting, please
contact Don at (281) 558-7856 or toll free (866) 476-6788.
How to prepare your list in
Excel or another database:
- Each address line of the outer and inner envelopes should have its
own separate columns.
- All text should be in upper and lowercase letters,
including the names of countries.
- All titles such as Mr. and Mrs. should be included for all
names, with appropriate punctuation.
- Married couples with different last names are noted with and
between their names. Unmarried couples names are not joined with
and and will appear on separate lines.
- All postal and state abbreviations are spelled out (Post
Office Box, Boulevard, etc.).
- There should be only one space between the city and state, and
two spaces between the state and zip code.
- Zip codes should only have 5 digits (unless they are
- For inner envelopes, decide if the "G" in "Guest"
should be capitalized (or not).
- For inner envelopes, decide if the F in Family
should be capitalized (or not). (Note: the use of and family
on inner envelopes is not recommended).
- Dr. can be spelled out "Doctor" for medical doctors, if
- For addresses with # in them, use the word Number.
- For addresses with Apt., use Apartment before
Back to top